Youth Outreach Worker Program
Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contest
Vaping is one of the biggest health concerns in San Francisco. According to the 2019 Youth Risk Behavior Survey, the number of SFUSD students who report current use of vaping products has more than doubled in just the last two years. Students can spread awareness about tobacco and vaping prevention (and win prizes!) by creating a 30-90 second video or creating original art for SFUSD’s Public Service Announcement (PSA) contest.
Entries are accepted in four categories:
- Elementary (4th-5th grade)
- Middle school
- High school
Winners from each category can win up to $200 in prizes.
All entrants should complete the official entry form: bit.ly/SHAB-Contest
Entries will be accepted between Dec. 18, 2019 and March 13, 2020.
All entries will be evaluated by SFUSD’s Student Health Advisory Board (SHAB)
Winners will be notified via email or school contact by April 17, 2020.
- Submission must include at least three facts about anti-smoking/vaping.
- All entries should be original.
- Actors cannot portray any drug or tobacco use in a positive light.
- No use of real tobacco products.
- LGBTQ submissions must show how tobacco and vaping products specifically affect the LGBTQ+ community
- Video submissions must be produced, directed, and acted by youth. NO real drugs, cigarettes, or vaping devices are allowed. Video should be between 30-90 seconds. Videos must be uploaded to Youtube and submitted with the official entry form: bit.ly/SHAB-Contest
- Fine Art (for example: photography, painting, drawing, poem, etc..) must be original, and must be between 8.5”x 11” and 11”x 17”,. Artwork should be submitted with the official entry form: bit.ly/SHAB-Contest .
Physical art submissions can be delivered to:
SFUSD School Health Programs
1515 Quintara Street, CA 94116
Last Year’s Contest Winners
Congratulations to, and please take a look at, the 2018-19 contest winners!
BREATHE FOR THE FUTURE
Video Category Winners
- Elementary School: Claire Lilienthal Elementary School – Camille Pyo
- Middle School: Marina Middle School – Youth Outreach Workers: Aya Afenzal, Matteson Dobay, Mamen Gashaw, Bella Ruan, & Chantal Loong
- High School: Lincoln High School – Lucas Dong, Ryan Chein, Ashton Li, Alexander Scott, & Aaron Upsornsopakit
- LGBTQ: Lincoln High School – Cole Pepper & Lincoln YOWs
Art Category Winners
- Spoken Word Winner: Presidio Middle School- Samantha Babst
- Middle School Winner: Aptos Middle School- Gideon Ford
- Elementary School Winner: Argonne Elementary School- Kaia May
PSA Winners poster link: http://bit.ly/psaposter2019
2018-19 Video Winners
17-18 Video Winners
17-18 Art Winners